Notes from Maker meeting @ HackPGH 11/15/2017
- Website for future updates:
Chad is working on a site, http://makepgh.org/, where we can aggregate info/updates on making in Pittsburgh.
- 1 Spaces with laser resources
- 2 Makerspaces with available memberships (with members represented at this meeting)
- 3 Other non-laser non-makerspace resources
- 4 Future partnerships efforts for Pittsburgh Makerspaces
Spaces with laser resources
- 2x3ft 150w Laser Cutter
- $0.25 per minute to use and must be a member to use
- See membership info and additional resources below.
- Two Boxzys that can be configured as laser cutters
- Must be a member to use.
Carnegie Science Center Fab Lab
- Has a 40w laser.
- Available for use during Free Flow fridays (must sign up ahead of time)
- Must take a class before use, but they might be able to be flexible on this for former TS members who took the SBU. Please contact the space to confirm.
- Also has other equipment available if you’ve taken the course
- Courses $25
- Has lasers (3’x4’) available for Pitt students to use.
- Would need a student who has access to run jobs
Makerspaces with available memberships (with members represented at this meeting)
If you are reading these notes and would like your space to be added as a resource, please shoot me an email at email@example.com
- $50/mo Membership
- Day Passes until Jan 1st.
- 24/7 Access
- Teach a class, get a free month membership.
- Volunteer one shop clean a quarter.
- +18 but classes for all ages.
- A place to prototype and do small scale manufacturing.
- Main Tools / Shop Areas:
- 2x3ft 150w Laser Cutter
- Mig Welders / Metal Shop
- Table Saw / Wood Shop
- Sewing/Embroidery Machines
- Electronics Workbench
Feminist makerspace: allowing feminists of all genders to pursue their creative interests.
- $25 - 6 months members/$50 - year membership
- nonprofit makerspaces founded by members and staff of TechShop Pittsburgh to continue the community of the shop.
- Fundraiser launching Nov 20th.
- More info at https://www.protohaven.org/
Future: Factory Unlocked
- Will be a makerspace plus offer manufacturing/assembly areas for small businesses.
Other non-laser non-makerspace resources
- James Gyre offered to let people use his woodshop on Mondays. Contact James for more info.
- Thorin Tobiassen offered that he may have some shop resources available.
- Status/Updates on Makerspaces in Pittsburgh
- HackPGH will keep day passes available at least til end of the year to provide gap coverage. HackPGH is expanding their space in the new year.
- Prototype is moving to a new larger space next year.
- Factory Unlocked is in the process of negotiating a new real estate deal to open their shop.
- Protohaven is launching a fundraiser to open a new makerspace (now without a partnership with TechShop) on Monday, Nov. 20th and has several great options for a space.
Future partnerships efforts for Pittsburgh Makerspaces
- To keep the community working together, one idea is to develop class curriculum that can be used across different spaces.
- Finding good insurance policies
- Having consistent safety policies
- Someone mentioned that OSHA may have put out a set of guidelines for makerspaces.