Jump to navigation Jump to search
- This page is about general woodworking tools and tips. For the wood shop at the Maker Nexus makerspace in Sunnyvale, CA, see MN-S Wood Shop.
Of course, wood! Check out the Wood Database for tons of information about different woods. Identification, strength, finishes, etc.
Are end grain glue joints weak? No! See the short, very interesting test video.
- Tong oil finishes
- How to pick a vise? A fun video with serious information
- Using a skew. Nice video explaining skew angles and when to use each.
- Sharpening: The grind on DeWalt chisels is very rough out of the box. The edge isn't durable because it is very jagged. To get a good edge on them you need to carefully flatten the surface of the bevel of the chisel with a rough sharpening stone before moving on to finer grits. Sandpaper is not the right tool for the job.
- Epoxy wood inlay. Good process from Fine Woodworking.
- Fabulous wood countertop being made. Good tips on the overall process, including epoxy inlay.
- An interesting way to cover end grain using plywood. The link drops you to the finished piece, the whole video shows how he did it.
- General intro to table saw safety
- Blade Height - what is the right height for your cut?
- Kickback and how to avoid it. Work safely!
- Three different blades - why to use each
- Jointer, Planer, Drum sander - what do they each do and why?
- Forstner bits and how to use them