Jump to navigation Jump to search
Title: General Manager (GM)
- Full Time Position
- Reports to the Executive Director
- Direct Reports:
The General Manager is responsible for running the operation. The GM operates within the boundaries set by the Executive Director. Key duties include maintaining all equipment in good working order. Overseeing the safety plan for the makerspace. Planning for new equipment acquisition as needed. Responsible for scheduling the Consulting Makers so that there is always one staff member on duty when the makerspace is open.
- Communicate effectively with the ED and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the ED to make informed decisions including reports, trend analysis, growth opportunities, and community progress.
- Financial Performance:
- Planning of the shop operation portion of annual budget. Submitting yearly budget to the ED, gain approval, and manage to it on a monthly basis.
- Responsible to operate within budget, adjusting immediately to any financial shortfall that jeopardizes the viability of the organization.
- Responsible for the design, proposal, and implementation of programs that fulfill the mission.
- Responsible for enhancing Maker Nexus’ image by being active and visible in the community and working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
- Oversees and implements the day to day operation of the makerspace.
- Hire, retain, coach/supervise and growing competent, qualified staff as directed by the ED.
- Responsible for seeing that all policies of Maker Nexus are implemented.
- Responsible for attracting and retaining shop members and ensuring they are satisfied with their membership experience.
- Community: Builds and maintains a cooperative community spirit among members
- Contact for all member issues.
- Resolves issues within the member base and makerspace in a respectful, open, and honest manner.
- Oversees and implements a safety plan that ensures a safe workplace for employees and members.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance by employees and members and guests with all workplace safety laws and regulations.
- Implements best practices for running a safe makerspace.
- Exhibits 0 tolerance for unsafe practices of any kind.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Can work productively with all kinds of people
- Listens well to the concerns of other people
- Three or more years experience running a workshop and building and leading a team.
- Proven skills in budgeting, managing to a budget, and reporting.
- Strong organizational skills including planning, prioritizing.
- Skill in hiring and managing both employees, contractors and volunteers to complete projects and tasks of all types.
- Ability to communicate a vision of the organization to many different groups.
- Ability to collaborate with board members and other volunteers.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.