Fusion 360 is a commercial computer-aided design (CAD), computer-aided manufacturing (CAM), computer-aided engineering (CAE) and printed circuit board (PCB) design software application, developed by Autodesk. It is available for Microsoft Windows and macOS, with simplified applications available for Android (operating system) and iOS. Fusion 360 is licensed as a paid subscription, with a free limited home-based, non-commercial personal edition available.
There are lots of online videos and web pages on how to use Fusion 360. This page is for tips that our members have found to be particularly useful.
Software License Renewal
Many of us are using the Hobbyist license which is free. You have to meet the Autodesk criteria and the software is limited in some ways. We've found that the limitations are well within the use case of a true hobbyist.
Every year you'll have to renew this license. Find when your license expires:
- Right click you name icon in Fusion 360.
- Follow the "Autodesk Account link" to a web page about your account.
- Follow "Manage Products and downloads" link at the top.
- Click "All Products and Services" on the left pane.
- Find "Fusion 360" and expand. This will show when your license expires.
The steps to renew your license:
- Click the buy button which takes you to a web page that looks like you'll need to pay.
- Follow the link in the middle of that page that says something like "prices and plans".
- Note the option on the right side of the page for free license. Follow this link.
- Scroll down and follow the "get started" button that has the right wording for existing users.
- Log in.
- Maybe click something more, or maybe this is the screen that says you'll need to log out of fusion and back in, after at least 30 minutes for your license to be updated.