If you have questions about this wiki or how to use it, make your comment here and I'll answer you the best I can. Or email me: email@example.com
I think this wiki can be used to great advantage in organizing and publishing information. Thanks for creating it and for giving me an account. I guessed at the categories. It needs to be refined.
At some point soon, we will have to establish some housekeeping rules to make it stay useful. Wikis tend to quickly fill with junk.
I suggest not creating sections with just one '=' That is the level the article heading, which contains a hidden '='
- Thanks. I agree that wikis have to be maintained. I like keeping things clean, and I'm glad to find a kindred spirit. Good point about starting down a level in titles. I'll do that from now on.
- WRT housekeeping. Is it something we just chat about? Or should I create a link off the main page for "rules of the wiki" or somesuch.Jschrempp (talk)
Wikis are an excellent place to communicate. Wikipedia built an encyclopedia that way. Editors have discussions close to the thing they are discussing, such as on the talk page of an article they are discussing. Wikipedia has about 18 namespaces. Storing discussions in the wiki keeps everything together. With email, I have to search through my inbox.
This wiki is being used to create a makerspace, not an encyclopedia, so we will need our own set of rules. We can go over this the next time we see each other.
I was considering creating several navigation sidebars to help tie pages together. As a first step, I started the categories.
- I'll send you an invite. It's a group chat app. You join "channels", each of which is a topic. It would be great if you joined #crm and #it, and any others you are interested in. Jschrempp (talk)
Wiki email not working
I click on preferences, then on the User profile tab, I see my email address. I click on "Confirm your email address," and it takes me to the "Confirm email address" page. I click on "Mail a confirmation code," and it takes me to the "Confirm email address" page, which says, "Confirmation email sent." I check my email, but see nothing.
Has email been configured on the server?
- Hmmm. I did something similar and it worked for me. We're paying for hosting and I routinely get emails when pages I'm watching are changed.
- Next step is to have someone else try to validate their email from their User/Preferences to see if it's a general problem. I'll try that myself whenever I get some time. Jschrempp (talk)
I attempted to create some navigation templates to help find things. I copied the Template:sidebar from Wikipedia. It does not work, because it depends upon a number of missing items, including the extension Scribunto, which allows executing Lua scripts.
I also noticed that there were no help files. In fact, most of the namespaces are empty. We will have to spend some time, figuring out what is missing, and what do do about it.
Interesting. Without help files, I wonder if this is for us. I hate to have something take time because it isn't well documented. There are lots of extensions to MediaWiki and each one we add can make upgrading to the next version of MediaWiki that much harder. Jschrempp (talk)
Extensions make the product modular. Instead one huge all-or-nothing program, they have a simpler and more manageable program, with extensions. The trick is figuring out which extensions to use. MediaWiki is quite stable and upgrading is very conservative, including code review. Wikipedia is a high profile target to pranksters and criminals, so stability is important.
I would not use anything that is not used by Wikipedia. I have been looking at help files, and wikipedia has hundreds. I have found the list of help files and modules. The ones that are important to the functioning of Wikipedia are locked from editing, and would be good to use.
- I'd like to enable a visual editor, but when I looked into those extensions I found a lot of caveats and documented issues. Wikipedia uses one, but I imagine they are able to put the resources in to keep it running. Jschrempp (talk)
- Most of the editors did not like the visual editor, and insisted that it not be enabled by default. Wikitext takes time to learn, but has many advantages. Have you ever gone through countless dialog boxes in a word processor trying to determine why two blocks of text are slightly different? Frankst (talk) 22:20, 25 January 2018 (EST)
I have never attempted to install Mediawiki, so you are way ahead of me there. Do you have documentation of how you installed or configured it?
- Our host service CiviHost did the install for us. I did it once before on another machine. I had to unpack a bunch of files and then it was pretty easy to do the rest of the install. Many options require modification of their config file in the root of the installation. If you google wikimedia config I think you'll find the page. Jschrempp (talk)
I like the Collaboration Tools section in Maker Nexus operating teams. I think it extremely important to pick the right set of communication tools early on, and to provide training and support for the selected tools. I have been a Basecamp administrator for several years, and if you like, I can share my experiences with you. Frankst (talk) 18:56, 25 January 2018 (EST)